The guy said you had to plan on sitting down for an hour if you're the resistant type, but at least 20 minutes for receptive types. Then you start free writing whatever pops into your head to complete the sentence "My purpose in life is to..." You keep doing it, and you can even repeat things you've written, until one of them makes you cry.
A man wrote this.
He said if it clutches at you, but you don't cry, make a mark next to it because it'll come into play to move you into your purpose, but it's the thing that makes you cry that lets you know you've found what you were meant to do. So I thought I'd give it a try. I wrote all the usual things, ...be an artist, ...paint, ...travel the world. Nothing. Huh? Well, let's try some typical things, ...be a writer, ...be a teacher, ...be a great mom, ...be a great wife. Nothing. That didn't surprise me. Hmmmmm. The guy said at least 20 minutes. I was at about 4 at this stage and already feeling impatient, frustrated, and silly. But you know what? I must be really receptive because it was at 5 minutes that the tears started, and I was surprised with what triggered it. Do you know what my purpose in life is?
To laugh.
2 comments:
That's beautiful.
I am totally with him on the crying part. Not to find my purpose, but just free-associating out loud with no one around about some situation that's bothering me, and all of a sudden a thought will come along and I just start bawling and I know, I know for certain, that the thought touched on the truth, something thoughts rarely do.
Usually these days it's about not wanting my ex, my kids' mother, the scared and hurt little girl that I married, to still be scared and hurting. Whenever I am open to the fact she is (and that is not all the time), my chest gets as hollow as a green pepper.
I'm sure you had a laugh over the fact you were crying about wanting to laugh.
I did indeed have a laugh. But it really has put a different spin on my perspective when I think of what I do in terms of how it can promote laughter in my life. It's rather cool.
I understand feeling as you do about your wife, too. But you know, this could be her time to learn to be brave. She's always had you before, but now she has to look to herself and find what's within her to lead her on into the rest of her life. It's dreadful because of the pain of it, but it's actually a very good thing, if she can come to the point of realizing it.
Grace
Post a Comment