Saturday, July 2, 2011

Deactivated

I'm off FB again. My recent experiments confirm what I've always known but have difficulty following through in, time on the internet in social fluff busyness prolongs my bad spells. It's when I'm feeling down that I get sucked in more deeply and it becomes one of those cycles of behavior that don't get any better unless you go cold turkey. I do best when I keep my social circle small (the few blogs I follow since they no longer post as frequently as they used to) and stick to one on one communication in email, which is more personal and usually more uplifting.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Good. I think we should experiment and stick with what works best. The worst thing is to muddle along and never make changes, believing that there's no way out of unhappy patterns. I don't find online stuff bad for me the way I do it now (Usenet wasn't great); it's some RL stuff I need to work on. Hugs!

gekko said...

Agreed. We try things. We note their impact on us or our loved ones, and we adjust.

I go through cycles of more in-depth interaction on Facebook, then significantly less. I'll keep the account going, though, and the connections, because it is not just about socializing. It's also a repository of people, connections, I may use, or who may need to use me in some fashion.

Lately my socializing has been via blog, just like AJ. Oh, and e-mail, a little.

Something AJ noticed about herself (and introspection/correction is such an intelligent thing to do!): when she's down she gets more sucked into things that may not be good for her. I did that on Usenet. Don't do it so much now. I retreat when I'm down. Hide, except for a very small few in whom I confide. Don't want to inflict myself on the world wide web the way I once did, innit.