Monday, July 4, 2011

Circles

Before deactivating FB I'd posted a comment about Google's new social network (which can only be accessed by invite, so if you get one and can pass one along to others, I'd like to try it) and how I liked the way it seemed they were going to make creating groups of friends easier than the way it is in FB now, so that you can control who gets what info. It's a clunky process in FB, and I have to always go searching for just exactly where one can create lists because I keep forgetting how. When you want to post something that only a certain list can see, you have to go through a couple of popup screens.

So Dr Z commented that it must be nice to have so many friends that you need to put them into different groups. I replied with an explanation of sorts about how/why I use the groups, but I didn't really respond to the heart of his comment, that yeah, it is nice to know enough people in different enough ways that you can create groups in the first place. I get it. I understood his meaning. I'm very fortunate. Sometimes I forget that because even though I know a lot of people, I don't spend much time with them. I used to complain that no one ever reached out to me first, that if I wanted to interact, I'd have to make the first move, but in the past year that hasn't been the case. People have been making the first move, and it's made me realize, especially since I was in a place where I did a lot of pulling back, that many people go through cycles of reaching out or staying quiet, especially if they're introverts, and it just so happens that most of my friends are as introverted (or more so) as I am, so they sometimes need a hand reached out to them first. They have all probably felt at one time or another that I didn't care when I didn't do any reaching and they needed it.

I do care. I'm just not always good at coming out of my shell. Anyway, I know that Dr Z made that point because his own life has been quite lonely for a long while. It's not easy to make friends, even for the friendly. I've met lots and lots of people over the years, but getting together with them on a regular basis hasn't worked out so well, either because of health (usually on their part), distance, or work reasons. But I love where I live, and I have options if I make the effort. It hasn't been quite that way for him. He's one of my dearest friends, and I'd love to hear him complain that he's connected to so many people that he needs a better way of grouping them.

8 comments:

gekko said...

Just this morning heard about Google Plus. FB has "lists", although that's not a core feature that has been around since inception and is not widely promoted. I would limit different posts to different lists at times, but I have to jump thru hoops to do that, and the phone app version doesn't have the feature.

Eager to try Google Plus one day, when it's been more fleshed out and has greater numbers of users.

Regarding Z's "teaching moment" whoozit. It's not difficult to have sufficient numbers of people you know and interact with who can be put into different circles. It's a personality thing, and a lifestyle thing, though. It can be difficult for some, unless they make some vast changes that they may or may not be able to do on their own.

Regarding the introversion/hand-reaching: Yeah. I have friends who reach out and I may pull back. Or they may ignore me, thinking I will only snub them again, and I feel bad about how I've made them feel that way.

There are indeed lonely people, and it's easy for them to succumb to bitterness.

I commend you for your patience when it comes to personalities that are as difficult as Z's. I lack that. Been too buffeted personally by those types of winds in my life to ever want to do that on a regular basis.

Paula said...

I'm in the process of inviting people from my email contact list into my Google+ circle now, but no one's accepted. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or else y'all hate me. I'll go back and check that I got you and Z, since there were over 100 and some I had to skip. :)

Never could deal with FB lists. PITA, plus the one time I experimented, it didn't work and everyone could still see what I posted. But I have very few friends and they seem to all accept my weird comments/opinions now without freaking out too much. (Or else they have me on mute!)

Paula said...

Hey! I thought I changed everything to the PINK CUPCAKE!!

Grace said...

Or they may ignore me, thinking I will only snub them again, and I feel bad about how I've made them feel that way.

I have, at times, wondered how life would be different if we could read each other's minds. If we knew what was what from the time we were born, not able to fret over what we think people mean when they do such and such, would we be more compassionate on the whole, or more prone to fighting? Or would we be the same, just with the ability to know what people really thought?

As for my patience...I really don't know how to answer that. We're friends who have come to know each other pretty well and are content to accept each other (mostly) as we are, warts and all.

Grace said...

Paula, that's your gravatar showing. You have to change something there, too. I went through a real annoying time trying to remember how I'd connected different things I was using to my email address. And now I'm seeing that my grace avatar doesn't show up at all. Bother! I haven't received any invites. Or hadn't up to an hour ago. I'll go check now.

Anonymous said...

Pink cupcake now shows, but isn't it funny how the old pic stays with the other comments? When I've experimented, the picture usually changes across the board.

Still no invite. :-(

Grace
(not signed in)

Grace said...

Testing.

Paula said...

Yeah, I thought in the old days, like when I had sexy sh00z pic, when I swapped one out, all pics on all comments automagically changed to new one.