Monday, June 13, 2011

Not for identification

I was supposed to be reimbursed for travel to the interview in Jax. Did I mention that? I waited a month. When nothing came, I sent an email asking when I could expect the reimbursement. Such a busy time of year, was the reply, it'll go in today. So, over a week later and I get an email asking for my SSN to complete the paperwork. My SSN? To send me a reimbursement check? So I replied saying that since SSNs aren't supposed to be used in such a manner (ha! as if you could get anything done in this country anymore without your number and just because it isn't tattooed onto us, doesn't make the practice any less insidious), especially as I'm not even an employee there, before giving it I would like an explanation of why. They use it as a vendor number. So I went ahead and sent my number because it's a losing battle, of course. I remember what a fuss people used to make about giving out their social when I was a young person, and how on the card I had before I married it said Not for identification (it doesn't any more, I checked). Now it's no big deal the way everyone asks for your SSN to identify you.

A card like my old one:

No comments: