Saturday, August 6, 2011

Boundaries

Mine tend to be rather flexible depending upon circumstances and mood. I put up with a lot, actually, even if it crosses my comfort zone, but every now and again I enforce my boundaries. One of them is that the blog I have that's attached to my real name where possible customers, employers, etc. can find me, is where I only show what I want to show, and that includes in the comments. I don't want to have my comments there laced with insult toward other commenters. Since some of my friends can't help themselves, if you want to have it out over here, you're welcome. But not there. That's a boundary I will enforce. So I've posted a comment policy over there.

Even though I may hide some things from the public over there, I want to be able to post serious and heartfelt topics that I don't feel the need to keep my name out of, as well. And I don't mind strong discussion, even if I am a bit thin-skinned at times. But on that blog, if the comments turn insulting, I will take the insulting parts out, though I'll try to leave as much of the comment intact as possible.

6 comments:

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dick Harper said...

FWIW, my only blog (http://www.blog.DICKHARPER.com)has my name attached to it. Not much off limits over there although I do delete comment spam.

gekko said...

I have a realname blog, but don't do much with it. I should copy some of the more techy stuff over to it, because that's partly what it's for.

Over on FB, a while back, one of the usual suspects was being really obnoxious on my Wall, and insulted some of my RL friends. Until I could figure out how to keep him from doing that, I temporarily kept him from posting to my wall. When he discovered he couldn't just have his way on my space, be the insulting ass he can be, he defriended me. At least he did not block me, as some other weak-kneed pansy-girly types do when they can't have their way.

So you can't control the behavior of others, but at least you can limit the impact they may have when they visit you, right?

Paula said...

I had no boundaries on Ultrablog, which was good in that it ended up getting me loads of interesting, passionate discussions on all sorts of diverse topics. But it was bad in that some good people ended up getting hurt by some total assholes for really no reason whatsoever. I could have stepped in, but I didn't, ever. Then, ultimately, someone I trusted basically wrecked my blog by forging comments. When I discovered who it actually was, I completely freaked. (You wouldn't believe it.) By then I was so disgusted with the entire thing, I abandoned the blog and started anew, deciding I would monitor comments ruthlessly, but once I said this, there was rarely a need to, except for one sexual troll. On my new NEW blog, I've received only one comment I had to trash, from the usual idiot who's obsessed with some of us, and the general spam that goes directly to trash. There was one edgy comment stream, but the players were all people who could handle that sort of thing, so I didn't do anything. If anyone had started in on new person, I would have stopped it.

Don said...

(You wouldn't believe it.)

You are such a TEASE.

Sorry about that, Grace. I don't keep multiple blogs straight and had no cognizance there were two, each with a different focus. I guarantee that within a few days I will forget again. All I typically see is the immediate who and the what. Will try to remember, but.

My only defense is that the usual ***hole was being particularly ***holy and a response was inescapably called for. I am continually amazed at said ***hole's churlishness and self-ignorance. Even more at the handful of people who think he is an honest person. But I'm stepping over lines again. I respect he is good friends with those he chooses to be. Zippering mouth now.

Grace said...

You are such a TEASE.

Isn't she, though? I want to know!

Apologies are unnecessary, Don. Neither you nor the other commenter could know, which is why I felt I should explain here why I deleted some things. And that same commenter would have the same problem with keeping my blogs straight, which is why I also put up the comment policy over there. In fact, I've been wondering for awhile if I should have even created two blogs like this, but I haven't felt like changing everything all around again. I had good reasons (to me) to do it, but I've been missing my old blog something fierce and sorry that I turned it into a blog for my French group that doesn't even use it anyway.